Sunday 6 December 2009

Flashback Humour

I love Fight Club. Everything about it is so God-damned awesome. Even the little things, like recognising the douchebag resident Dr Steadman from Scrubs as the priest converted to Fight Club, to Brad Pitt's "we all dream of being millionaires, movie gods, and" (glance at Jared Leto) "rock stars..." bit, jump out at you, like Fincher set out to make every single aspect of this movie just reek of brilliance, in-jokes and references. Even the massive cock flash before the credits makes sense. Best one has to be the sly breaking of the fourth wall near the end - and I'll admit this passed me by on first viewing, which made me love it all the more when I realised just what the fuck he was on about. At the start, Pitt's got his gun in Norton's mouth (thankfully not a euphamism):

Pitt: "Do you have anything to say?"
Norton: "Mmph mrph.... I can't think of anything."

Cue the narrator's retelling of events leading up to that moment, and after these two hours of largely misunderstood comic satire, we're back at the start point.

Pitt: "Do you have anything to say?"
Norton: "Mmph mrph.... I still can't think of anything."
Pitt: "Hah, flashback humour."

Awesomesauce. Now I need my bed. I'm rambling again.

Ciao for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment